Will you join on his carousel of life?
Dzidek, the retired king of amusement parks, lives with his seven-year-old grandson Hugo Huang in one of the left over caravans on the site of a once prospering business. The growing bond and relationship between them is valued above all. Together they cultivate the memory of Hugo’s mother, whose death Dzidek could never cope with. But their small world soon faces obstacles when the city official inspects the caravan and says the living situation is not proper for a child and when Hugo’s biological father claims custody of Hugo. Although Dzidek tries hard to renovate the caravan and persuade Hugo’s father to let Hugo stay with him, the entire social system makes it difficult. Using old video footage of the past, Hugomakes us emphasize Dzidek’s deep affection to his grandson after the loss of his daughter. Along with the struggle of the two, the documentary also highlights on the matters of child care system of society questioning what’s really important for a child and what is the real meaning of family.
Producer: Film Bunch
Co-producers: KOSMOS Production, Polish Television, Polish Film Institute, Wojciech Klimala
FESTIVALS AND AWARDS:
- Gdansk DocFilm Festival / Poland
- 58th Krakow Film Fesival / Poland
- 15. Neisse Filmfestival / Germany
- TRT Belgesel Ödülleri / Turkish
- Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival / Canada
- CROSSING EUROPE Filmfestival Linz / Austriara
- 40th MOSCOW INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL / Russia
- DOCUDAYS INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DOCUMENTARY FILM FESTIVAL / Ukraine
- 22 BUSAN INTERNATIONAL FILM FILM FESTIVAL - nomination to Busan Vision Awards; / South Korea
- 33 WARSAW FILM FESTIVAL - Young FIPRESCI award for the best debut from East Europe; III Audience Award; / Poland